It is pretty standard that when you get hit with the flu or cold, that it is just a waiting game. What if I told you that the waiting game doesn’t have to be drawn out for so long? One effective method to not only speeding up how long you are sick for, but preventing future illness is essential oils. Strongly scented oils can help alleviate your flu and cold symptoms, as the properties within them work to clear your nasal passage.
Essential Oils and Their Healing Properties
Each essential oil blend is different, much like your body. Your body works in incredible ways to prevent bacteria and germs from impacting your overall wellbeing, much like essential oils. The term ‘Your Body is a Temple’ can be used when referencing to essential oils and their healing properties, as they are truly protecting your temple! They are not just protecting it, however, they are boosting your immune system to react stronger to germs you may come in contact with.
Scientific study demonstrates that diffusion of essential oils can purify and cleanse the air, providing added protection. Ancient medicine highly depended on the use of herbs and essential oils, as they are known for their extraordinary healing properties.
Essential Oils and Your Immune System
- Lemon: Clears your nasal passages
- Lavender: Relieves headaches
- Peppermint: Reduces coughs, clears your sinuses, and prevents throat infections
- Thyme: Has antibiotic properties to help fight against respiratory infections
- Eucalyptus: Fights viruses and lowers fevers
- Tea Tree Oil: Fights against bacteria and infections
- Chamomile: Relieves cold and flu symptoms
- Rosemary: Purifies and cleans the air
How to Use Essential Oils
When thinking about essential oils, many individuals jump to the idea that a diffuser must be involved. However, essential oils are very versatile and can be used with or without a diffuser!
Listed below are three ways to use essential oils.
- Smell: This is one of the most common ways to use essential oils. It is often referred to as ‘aromatic’ where it alludes to the fact that you are experiencing the aroma of the essential oil through smell. The essential oils can be dropped into a diffuser where the smell is then carried throughout a room, as well as dropped onto your hands or wrist for inhalation and worn as a personal fragrance.
- Skin: Topical application of essential oils allows the oil to absorb into the skin while still providing healing factors through both skin contact and inhalation. Topical wise, they can be massaged into your skin much like a lotion.
- Ingestion: Not all essential oils are safe for ingestion, however, the ones that are can be used as an internal method to carry the essential oil healing properties through your body. They are often mixed within food and drinks.
What You Can Do
We all know the moment that you start to feel under the weather. After finding what essential oils you choose to use, the minute you start to feel sick is when you can use your essential oils. However, you don’t just have to use them when you start to feel ill. Essential oils are a great way to prevent future illnesses, and can be used on a daily basis. The minute you start to feel sick will no longer be so often, as the more you use essential oils, the more of a barrier your immune system builds to prevent those pesky germs.